Ottawa, Canada, residence to the Ambassador of Sweden
The Swedish ambassadorial residence is located on a headland high above the Ottawa River in a house with two storys and a cellar. Built in solid red brick with a slate roof, the building is in an architectural style known as Queen Anne Revival.
The Residence at Rockcliffe Park
The building at 700, Manor Avenue was built in 1913, and designed by the architect Allan Keefer. Keefer designed many of the magnificent buildings in the exclusive Rockcliffe Park neighborhood. This particular house, then called "Raewood", was designed for his brother, Thomas Coltin Keefer Jr. Unfortunately, Thomas Keefer Jr Found himself in financial difficulties, and in 1919 he was forced to sell the property to James William Woods, who in turn sold it to Gilbert Emilius Fauguier in 1920. The house was then given the name "Ardvar". The Fauguier family also added the building "Ardvar cottage" for their chauffeur, and it is used today as a personnel residence. In 1944, the Swedish government bought "Ardvar" from Gilbert Fauguier's widow.
Queen Anne Revival
The building is located on a headland high above the Ottawa River and has two storys and a cellar. Built in solid red brick with a slate roof, the building is in an architectural style known as Queen Anne Revival, and it has a Flemish-inspired parapet on the façade overlooking the garden. It is crowned with a large, stucco pine cone.
View over the river
The residence has two main façades. One looks south towards the approach and entrance, while the other faces north and has views across the river and Acacia Avenue to which there is access via a gate. Previously, streetcars ran past the residence, which had its own stop, owned originally by the Keefer family. The section of the house used for entertainment accommodates a hall, three drawing-rooms, a library, one large and one small dining room, staff rooms, kitchen and guest bathrooms. The private part of the residence contains four bedrooms, a parlor, kitchen and three bathrooms
Additions and modernizations
In 1986, the National Property Board of Sweden's predecessor made an addition. This comprised the large dining room and a laundry in the cellar below, together with a wing housing staff rooms and a stairway to the cellar. At the same time, all the bathrooms were modernized. Designs were by local architects Murray & Murray Associates. Since then, the National Property Board installed new town-gas fired heating furnaces in 2001, and renovated the kitchen in 2005.
In addition to the residence, there is staff accommodation with a private garden, two garages, garden storage and a garden pavilion in the grounds. In 1986, part of the grounds covering approximately 3,500 sq m was sold. The garden is reminiscent of parkland and beautifully laid out. Today it covers approximately 19,000 sq m.
377 Dalhousie Street