Photographer: Åke E:son Lindman
Svenska institutet i Rom.
Rome, Italy, the Swedish Institute Si
The Swedish Institute in Rome was founded in 1925 to promote knowledge about antiquity and to "serve the interests of the arts and arts research". To this day, it remains an active research institute.
For classical scholars in the Eternal City
This red-brick building on the edge of Villa Borghese plays host to preparations for excavations and other academic activities, academic teaching in archaeology and history of art, and academic conferences. A research library and around twenty rooms and small apartments are available for visiting researchers. The operation began in 1926 at Via del Boschetto 68, and was set up on the initiative of the then Crown Prince Gustav Adolf, amongst others. A couple of years later, in 1928, the Institute moved to larger premises in the Palazzo Brancaccio.
Oasis by Villa Borghese
In 1937, the Institute was able to acquire a plot on the edge of the park known as Villa Borghese. A red-brick building with white travertine was designed by architect Ivar Tengbom. The interiors were created by leading figures such as Carl Malmsten, Märta Måås-Fjätterström and Elsa Gullberg. The new Swedish Institute opened the doors to its first purpose-built home in spring 1940. The building was funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation, with the Swedish State agreeing to shoulder the costs once the construction work was completed. While Ivar Tengbom was working on the designs for the Institute, he came into contact with architect Oskar Sitte, who was working on the Austrian Institute. Sweden gained a great deal of inspiration and help from Sitte's project, not least on how to incorporate Italian construction techniques and materials into the building.
In 1960–64, a guest wing was added, along with an archaeology lab. This building was also funded by the Knut and Alice Wallenberg Foundation. The ever-growing book collection has prompted several extensions. The first came in 1987–88, while the latest was an underground structure completed by SFV in 2007–2008. This has provided a spacious book archive with technically advanced climate control.
Via Omero 14