- Photographer: SFV
Ankara, Turkey. Embassy compound
In 1923, Ankara was declared the capital of the new Turkish Republic. Ten years later, in 1933, Sweden purchased the site currently occupied by both the chancery and the residence. It is located in the district of Kavaklidere, among many other embassies. The 10,500 m2 plot houses both the Ambassador's residence and the Embassy of Sweden's chancery.
Architect Nils Ahrbom
The present chancery building was constructed in 1963 to a design by Nils Ahrbom. In 1998, architect Gunnar Åsell then carried out more remodelling and extension work. The Embassy is a white rendered brick building over two floors plus a basement. The extension in 1998 created a new communal room and four offices. At the same time, a separate migration office was set up to reduce the traffic through the main entrance. In 1998, a private, sheltered terrace was created for staff. In 2013, the National Property Board Sweden (SFV) enclosed the terrace to create a light and airy lunch room.
The residence is a rendered brick villa over two floors. The very impressive building has a hall, drawing room, dining room, kitchen, library, staff room and guest toilets on the ground floor. The first floor has six bedrooms, three bathrooms and a private kitchen.
In addition to these buildings, the site also has a pool and a garage for five cars. The park-like gardens are attractively laid out with trees and plants, providing a spacious oasis in the otherwise densely developed area. Ankara lies around 900 metres above sea level, making the climate dry and relatively pleasant.