Ales stenar vid Kåseberga i Skåne
Sweden’s largest and best preserved stone ship is majestically located above the village of Kåserberga on the southern coast of Österlen. Ale’s Stones is one of Skåne’s most popular tourist attractions - a scenic and exciting place that attracts people all year around.
The stone ship dates back to roughly the year 600 and consists of 59 large boulders that each weigh approximately five tons. In total the stone ship is roughly 67 meters long and 19 meters wide, making it Sweden’s largest stone ship.
Ale’s Stones near Hammars backar hills and Kåserberga ridge
The large stones form an impressive sight where they are located, 32 meters above sea level at Kåsehuvud, overlooking the steep coastline and Danish island Bornholm. This is a destination where visitors come every day all year around to enjoy the special atmosphere and majestic view of the sea. The surrounding nature is also worth a visit. Hammars backar hills and Kåserbergaåsen both offer an impressive biodiversity. The pastures have a special type of flora that creates favourable conditions for a large number of butterfly species. The landscape, with its rare sand steppe vegetation, also contains an abundant bird life.
Much-disputed ancient monument
The function of Ale’s stone, like their exact dating, has been much-disputed. Different theories have throughout time been pitted against each other. On two occasions, 1917 and 1956, the stone ship was restored. The restoration of 1917 is not very well known, but the interventions that were performed were most likely not as major as in 1956. At that time, extensive excavation work was done with excavators and bulldozers, without any closer monitoring by archaeologists. This has contributed to the knowledge about Ale’s stones for a long time being virtually nonexistent.
More knowledge today
Since the late 1980’s, several archaeological and geological examinations have taken place, so today we have considerably more knowledge about Ale’s stones. The examinations show that while erecting it, one consistently used boulders that had an oblong shape. This shape is rather rare when it comes to glacial erratics, which are often round since they are transported by the inland ice. The boulders in the ship’s sides consist of granite and gneiss, while the four middle boulders or made from sandstone.
It has been possible to date charcoal remains from different sections of the stone ship thanks to the carbon-14 method. No less than seven such analyses show that the stone ship was erected sometime during the period of 500-1000 e. CE
Ale’s stones are since January 2015 managed by the National Property Board of Sweden.
- Guest harbour
Place on map
271 78 Löderup
- Contruction year: Approximately 600 CE