Photographer: Åke E:son Lindman
Sveriges ambassad i Madrid.
Madrid, Spain. Embassy and Ambassador’s residence
The Embassy of Sweden in Madrid enjoys a central location on the corner of Calle Zurbano and Calle Caracas. The mansion that later came to be the Swedish Ambassador's residence was built in 1894–96.
Red brick and grey granite
The Embassy of Sweden in Madrid enjoys a central location on the corner of Calle Zurbano and Calle Caracas. The mansion that later came to be the Swedish Ambassador's residence was built in 1894–96. In 1904 the Ambassador at the time, Fritz Wedel Jarlsberg, bought the property on behalf of the Swedish State. The plot also included servants' quarters with a coach house and stables. This building and the attractive wings have given way to a new Embassy building constructed in the 1960s. The redbrick residence building has white stucco decoration and a plinth of grey Guadarrama granite. It comprises a basement and three upper floors plus an attic, and initially housed both the chancery and accommodation for the Ambassador.
Brick unites old and new
Eventually, the offices in the main building became unworkable and a new Embassy building was constructed in 1962–63, largely occupying the former servants' wing. The architects were Ahlgren Olsson Silow (AOS), while the construction work was managed by Spanish architect Luis Blanco-Soler. The construction material was the same red brick that had been used for the main building, and the buildings were tied together with a brick wall on the ground floor. To ensure privacy, the roadside façades are almost entirely windowless, and the offices face the garden.
In 2004, the Embassy was about to celebrate its centenary when a major fire broke out in the Ambassador's residence during roofing work. The roof and the top floor were entirely destroyed. The National Property Board Sweden (SFV) took the reconstruction as an opportunity to make improvements, e.g. to the insulation and waterproofing. The Embassy was finally able to celebrate its delayed centenary in June 2005. SFV renovated the façade in 2011 and made the entrance more accessible in 2012.