Photographer: Åke E:son Lindman
Sveriges ambassadanläggning i Köpenhamn.
Copenhagen, Denmark. Embassy and Ambassador’s residence
The Embassy buildings purchased in the 1920s in Copenhagen had to be made fit for purpose, and this important task was entrusted to renowned Swedish architect Torben Grut.
The building that now houses the Swedish Ambassador's residence was built in 1753. It was designed by court architect Niels Eigtved for developer and timber merchant Johan Jegind. The first known owner was Count Conrad Danneskiold-Laurvig, illegitimate descendant of King Fredrik III, who took possession in 1755. Count Danneskiold-Laurvig was an Admiral, Adjutant General to the King, Grand Master of the Freemasons and also a Naval Minister. The next owner was Count Otto Manderup Rantzau. The chancery building was constructed in 1853, but the architect is unknown.
Swedish purchase in the 1920s
The Swedish State acquired the property on 15 September 1921 from Mrs Anna D Nörgaard. The State representative during the purchase was the head of the mission at the time, Baron Joachim Beck-Friis. The price was DKK 450,000.
After the purchase in the 1920s, the Embassy buildings had to be made fit for purpose, and so renowned Swedish architect Torben Grut worked with Ambassador Beck-Friis and his sister Stina Beck-Friis to make the necessary renovations. Danish architect Flemming Grut was also involved in a number of redesigns and renovations from 1940–70. In 1941–42, the foundations were reinforced and a lift installed in the residence building. The 1950s saw the removal of the render on the corner building housing the residence, but the façade has now been re-rendered. From 1951–53, the chancery building was refurbished and redesigned, with the chancery gaining its own entrance. In 1962, a lift was installed in the chancery building. The residence was then refurbished in the late 1960s. During the 1980s, the National Board of Public Buildings renovated and remodelled the chancery offices. The Embassy was given a new waiting room and reception, while the offices on the upper floors were converted into apartments. In 2001, the National Property Board Sweden (SFV) renovated the windows and façades of the chancery and Ambassador's residence, and in 2009 SFV opened the new, fully accessible, entrance. It is now possible to take the lift from Sankt Annæ Plads directly up to reception. SFV renovated the façade in 2010.