Brief period as active defence
Södra Strandverket has a beautiful location at the southern approach to Marstrand Harbour. The structure was built between 1852 and 1857 to replace older cannon batteries at the harbour, including Gustavsborg south of Carlsten Fortress. Södra Strandverket consists of two buildings with cannon batteries that could be fired both towards the Albrektsund Canal and the southern harbour approach. The armaments consisted of 46 cannon and the number of soldiers amounted to 170 men. Around the fortress was a moat, which has been filled in today.
In 1882 Södra Strandverket and Carlsten Fortress were removed from Sweden's permanent defences.
The Skeppsgossekåren of cabin boys was transferred to Karlskrona and Marstrand in the early twentieth century. Between the years 1907 and 1937 both Carlsten Fortress and Södra Strandverket were characterised by activity until being closed. The navy used the buildings until the 1960s, when they were renovated. For the most part it was the minesweeper flotilla that used Marstrand for storage and emergencies.
Here you can find conference facilities, culture and celebrations all under one roof.
Place on map
440 30 Marstrand