Skansen Kronan

The foundation stone was laid in 1687

When the Dutch were tempted by Gothenburg after it was founded in 1621, the Swedish Crown swore that the town would be fortified. A strong defence of Gothenburg was crucial for maintaining Sweden's connections with the North Sea. Moats, ramparts and a fortification wall were built around the town. Early Gothenburg was a fortress with a small town inside.

In 1639 a proposal was put forward to provide the surrounding hills with entrenchments. A plan was drawn up for six prominent redoubts on the hills surrounding Gothenburg. Only the redoubt on Risåsen was actually completed at that time. The renewed threat of war from Denmark in 1683 accelerated the decision to reinforce it, resulting in Skansen Kronan.

Skansen Kronan was taken into use in 1698 and was then furnished with 23 cannon. However, the roof was not completed until 1700. The redoubt has walls 4-5 metres thick, made of granite, gneiss and diabase. The roof originally consisted of English lead sheeting on a base of boards on logs, but it has been replaced several times.

Skansen Kronan was never involved in any conflict, and it was demobilised in 1806. In the mid nineteenth century the redoubt was used as a prison, and during the 1870s it was used as emergency housing when there was a shortage of housing. In 1904 the redoubt became the Kronan military museum. Today Skansen Kronan is used to hold parties and events.

Facilities:

  • WC
  • Restaurant
  • Parking