Pater Noster

Cast-iron lighthouse dating from 1868

Pater Noster, which stands on Hamneskär outside Tjörn, was designed by Gustaf von Heidenstam. When the lighthouse was switched on in 1868 the lighthouse keeper and his assistant and their families lived on the island. The 32-metre high lighthouse
was extinguished in 1977 but was recommissioned in 2007 following a renovation. Today there is a café, a guest house and conference facilities.
Pater Noster is Latin and means Our Father. Perhaps the lighthouse got its name because the prayer made people feel safe in the crashing waves around all the islets.

Facilities:

  • Beach
  • WC
  • Café
  • Restaurant