Vasa castle up on the ridge
Uppsala Castle is one of Uppsala's foremost landmarks. Its location up on the Kasåsen Ridge makes it visible from far afield. Uppsala Castle was built by Gustav Vasa, and construction began at the end of the 1540s. His sons Erik XIV and Johan III continued the construction work, which resulted, among other things, in the south wing with its magnificent castle church. Gustav Vasa's third son, Karl IX, continued his brothers' construction work. In 1665 a large garden was laid out to the west of the castle. This is now the Botanical Gardens.
At the end of the sixteenth century and during the seventeenth century, the castle was the scene of several important and dramatic events. The Sture murders in 1567, the Uppsala Synod and confirmation of the reformation in1593, Queen Kristina's abdication in 1654 and several parliaments. The last coronation held at Uppsala Castle was held in 1719 when Ulrika Eleonora was crowned Queen.
Today the castle is the residence of the county governor. Other tenants include museums and companies. During the summer months the castle is open to the public for guided tours.
There are plans for a visitor centre at Uppsala Castle to illustrate the castle's eventful history and at the same time attract more visitors in to enjoy the fantastic view over the town and the Botanical Gardens.
Place on map
Drottning Christinas väg