The oldest parts of Bäckaskog Castle date from the early thirteenth century. At that time a Premonstratensian monastery was built on the isthmus between Ivö Lake and Oppmanna Lake. The canons combined their monastic life with pastoral activities and supported themselves with agriculture, fishing and gardening. Parts of the old monastery church and the canons' kitchen are preserved in today's buildings. A fishpond and the now dried-up canal also formed part of the medieval structure.
In the reformation of 1537 the monastery became the property of the Danish crown. In 1584 Bäckaskog was presented to the governor of crown prince Kristian (IV), Henrik Ramel. In the years 1584-1653, he and his son Henrik Ramel the Younger converted the former monastery into a fortified castle. Bäckaskog took its current form at that time, with its enclosed courtyard. Bäckaskog became Swedish after the Treaty of Roskilde in 1658.
Karl XV stayed at Bäckaskog every summer from 1845 until his death. In Karl XV's time the crown estate at Bäckaskog evolved into a model farm.
Since the middle of the twentieth century Bäckaskog has been used for conferences and courses, but is also open to other visitors all year round.
- Wheelchair ramp
Place on map
290 34 Fjälkinge, Kristianstad