Vasa castle in romantic style
Örebro Castle stands on a small island in the River Svartån. The site where the town of Örebro now stands was an important centre for the area even back in ancient times because of its strategic position by the river. In the latter part of the thirteenth century, a fortress was built on the small island in the river. This was Örebro House, which would later become Örebro Castle.
Örebro House was one of Gustav Vasa's strongholds. Here he held meetings and parliaments. Gustav Vasa's youngest son Duke Karl inherited Örebro House from his father. In 1573 he began a major building project that transformed the stronghold into a renaissance-style castle. By the end of the seventeenth century it was uninhabitable, and it was used as a weapons store and as a prison for prisoners of war.
The years 1897 to 1901 saw the formation of the castle we see today, a Vasa castle in the historic romantic style. It is a popular tourist attraction with many options for things to do. The things on offer include exhibitions, guided tours, a shop and restaurant.