Gotland's Customs Museum
The "Coastriders" were customs officers at the rural harbours of Gotland that exported timber, limestone and tar, among other things. They ensured that Visby received duty on goods in the same way as if the goods had passed through Visby.
Until 1827 the people of Gotland were obliged to build and maintain the coastriders' houses and jetties, something that was not very popular. The original coastrider's house was probably built around 1730 by the farmers of nearby parishes. In Ljugarn nine coastriders and their families lived in the house between 1728 and 1822.
The new customs house was built in 1853, replacing the coastrider's house as a dwelling for the customs officers of that time. In 1928 the customs house was also closed down.
Both houses are still in existence down by the harbour. In 1966 the new customs house was converted into a youth hostel, and the coastrider's house is now Gotland's Customs Museum.
Place on map